Saturday, July 18, 2009

Adam's Race Report from Mass

Guest report from Adam "Mountain Goat" Trexler:

some pics to come, hopefully.

Report from Mattapoisett Triathlon: Great first triathlon! The Mattapoisett Triathlon is a small race in coastal Massachusetts. 400 meter swim in an ocean harbor, 10 mile bike and 3.4 mile run all along the coast (super flat!). I survived the swimming, though I need some serious work on sighting and swimming in a straight line. One of these fancy wetsuits will probably come in handy for Savageman as well. I felt great on the bike despite some headwinds and wet roads. The transition and early stages of the run felt much harder than I expected; I really didn’t feel like I had any legs until about ten minutes had passed. Running better after race intensity cycling and a fast transition is definitely a focus area now for training. I’m not a great 5K runner, more of a long distance guy. So I’m actually looking forward to the longer distances in the Savageman where hopefully the transition won’t hurt my time as much and sprint speed isn’t as useful. Then again, on Savageman I’ll have much larger problems to worry about as well.

Well, I enjoyed my last century ride so much I’m going to do another this weekend! Hopefully the organizers found some good hills to climb.