Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Triangle Triathlon

Guest Poster: Rachel "The Razor" Wilt (Pictures to Follow)

Hi, this is Rachel, Eric's 12 year old cousin. He asked me to write this post since I did my first real adult triathlon this weekend. One of Eric’s goals for P-11 was to get his family and friends involved in sports and fitness events. Based on this weekend’s turnout, I’d say he’s well on his way to achieving that goal. This weekend, the Project-11 team had 6 athletes participating in events, as well as many fans, including 1 official cheerleader. Five competed in the Triangle Triathlon in Cary NC, while Adam did his first tri in Mattapoisett Massachusetts. It was also a first tri for Dani and her boyfriend, Tim Laupert.

Adam’s distances were a 400 meter swim, 10 mile bike, and 3 mile run. He did really well at the swim, surprising us all since he said he couldn’t swim. He’s an experienced marathon runner, and we got a chance to preview his amazing biking ability last weekend. I predict he will be ready for Savage Man in September, smoking my Dad for sure, and maybe even his cousin Eric.

The Triangle Triathlon distances were a 750 meter swim, 17.5 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Dani and Tim did the relay version of the triathlon… Tim swam, Dani biked, and Tim ran.

My Dad was my coach.He dipped his toe in the water and then waited for me to come out of the swim. He then went along side me and we did the ride and run together.

The highlight for me, next to finishing, was beating my Ironman cousin in the swim! After the swim, Eric kicked it in and posted good times on the bike and run. Especially the bike where he was 6th fastest.

Thanks to all the fans who traveled from Maryland, South Carolina, and Tennessee

My 7 year-old sister Abby got the spirit award for best cheerleading attire (Beat Navy!).

And also thanks to Eric and Gina for hosting the team and fans.

Eric will let us know what is coming up next for P-11, and remember to donate to Lance Armstrong Foundation thru the Project 11 site, so we can reach our goal of $11,000 for cancer research to honor Uncle Tim’s 11 year battle with melanoma.